Monday, June 27, 2005

More Quick Reviews

Land of the Dead

Romero’s Dawn of the Dead is a classic, surely the best zombie film that’ll ever get made. This is not Dawn of the Dead. Still, not bad. I am glad to see that the guy has a decent film in him, as all reports regarding his recent efforts suggest otherwise. A few minor complaints aside (Asia Argento had no purpose being in the movie), this is a lot of fun and there are some great Romero touches. And goddamn, it is gory. Lots of blood, lots of flesh being torn from the bone by the hungry dead. Everything one could ask for in a zombie film. Compared to others in the series, it’s not the greatest; compared to the last Resident Evil movie, it’s a masterpiece.

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers

The Pink Panther films obsessed me as a kid and that obsession blossomed into an interest in Sellers, mostly as I had no clue who the hell he was. I wonder if he knew. If this film is to be believed, he was a prick. Geoffrey Rush does an admirable job hamming it up Sellers style and John Lithgow plays Blake Edwards as I imagined him to be: a cocky asshole. Interesting on a certain level but it took me a few tries to get through as I kept falling asleep, which I have never done while watching Dr. Strangelove.

Original Sin

I watched this as after seeing Mr. And Mrs. Smith as that film left me with a desire to see Angelina Jolie naked. Mission accomplished.

Dave

I fell asleep last night while this was on TBS. I seem to recall seeing it in the theatre, although I hardly remember what would have motivated such an action. The film is simple and light and means well, but we all know what they say about someone who means well. They are usually a pain in the ass.