Friday, September 26, 2008

Poems for the Millennium

Working on the anthology for my part-time gig, I have had to consult two massive tomes of poetry published a few years back (maybe more—time is losing its grip on me) by the University of California called Poems for the Millennium. Now, I was already enamored of this two-volume set before beginning to scour the libraries and my own messy stacks for copies of world poetry, but I forgot about the magnitude of this amazing anthology.

While I will stomp for the anthology I am assisting on, I have to give a major shout-out to this one. If you have an interest in contemporary poetry (and who doesn’t?), this is the one to get. (Ours will be smaller, more boiled down, and focusing only on poems in translation, and will be, I believe, quite good. So buy that as well.) Each time I return I find a new surprise, and while such an array of poems is sure to produce some that do not hit with every reader, I admire the range of the thing and am awed more times than not. Thanks for listening.