Monday, April 20, 2009

Rhino

Rhino 2009 is out featuring a poem by yours truly. I went to the release party with mi niña yesterday and ran into one of the students from the workshop I taught. Overall, it went well. I sent Rhino three poems and they took the one I felt was the worst. Once again, I don’t know what works and what doesn’t. Evidence of this came when I read four poems and the one I am most fond of (a poem based on a conversation with my friend Matt regarding riding the red line when someone jumped to their death in front of the train, which I tried to make somewhat funny) kinda bummed folks the hell out. I heard the room deflate when I finished it, though I got ‘em back by saying, “Yeah, I know, it’s a downer.” Clearly I like my worst poems and dismiss my (few) good ones. What do I know?