Thursday, March 04, 2010

On Very Fucking Random

Why do I differentiate between blogs (like this one) and Twitter? It’s all the same cup of tea, right? Wrong. I don’t know… I just can’t get it within me to tweet. That said, here are some random thoughts that might blend in with the crap being slung over at Twitter (t6hough they exceed the character cap). Read them and understand why I avoid such tar pits.


***

I heard “Don’t Look Back” by Boston on the radio the other day. I have to admit that it was the first time that Boston sounded pretty good.

What does this say about me?

Going now to listen to some speed metal.

***

Fuck Richard Rodriguez. Again I taught his essay as objectively as possible when everything within me was in revolt against his bullshit.

***

The Oscars are coming!

I don’t think I care.

***

NPR reran a piece on This American Life about the pranksters (sorry, artists) over at Improv Everywhere. Read or watch clips or do whatever over here.

I’m not sure about all this tomfoolery. While the part of me that kneels at the alter of Andy Kaufman and Neil Hamburger thinks this is somewhat interesting, the part of me that loathes pretension finds this group annoying at best and socially irresponsible at worst.

My first reaction was: who the fuck do they think they are? Then I realized that the same question can be put to any artist. I mulled this over for a while as the walls caved in and the creek began to rise.

***

I met a man named Gus. It occurred to me that I have never met a child with that name. Almost as if Gus is a name you get when you turn 30. All the Kyles and Dylans and other equally dully named young boys may legally have their names changed to Gus should they choose. If I were them, I would.

***

Most days I don’t think of Office Space while struggling with the printer here at lawyerland. But some days I do.

Que the Ghetto Boys.

***

Both Time Out and The Reader have recently run issues devoted to Hyde Park, Chicago. Why the sudden interest? Is it because Obama is from (near) there? Anyway, I like the idea of living there, but then I remember that I’d be surrounded by U of C types. That’s almost as bad as being surrounded by Wicker Park hipsters.

***

Icelandic yogurt is the new Greek yogurt.