Thursday, July 29, 2010

If it Looks Like Crap and Smells Like Crap…

J.R. Jones on the “It’s so bad it’s good” theory. I’ve devoted (wasted?) a lot of my youth to watching shit movies. Once upon a time, when my brother and I hosted movie nights, this was fun, though that had a lot to do with sitting with my friends and drinking beer while viewing Ilsa: She Wolf of the S.S. and Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death. These days, I must admit that I have little interest in piles of cinematic crap. Jones is right; life is too short.

Anyway, I once joked about teaching a class on shitty cult films (Chris Hunger, if you’re out there, I’m still game), but the lesson would entail, among other things, calling a spade a spade and a lousy film a lousy film. I don’t need to elevate Make Them Die Slowly to the level of 8 ½ to enjoy it.