Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Master & Margarita Website

I just found this website all about The Master and Margarita. If you know me, you’ve probably heard me go on about this book before, how it is perhaps the finest novel I’ve ever read, certainly my favorite (though in a tie with three others), and how you should read it, blah blah blah. Well, not blah blah blah if you give a fig about good literature.

Anyway, the site is packed with lots of goodies, including this nugget of news that an American film version is in the works (though who knows if it’ll get off the ground). While the idea intrigues me, I have to admit to being torn. I know there are European films already in existence, but I’ve never felt compelled to see them. After all, one of my other “favorite books of all time” was famously made into a total disaster of a movie.

But back to the site.

What else will you find? A chapter by chapter guide, art work, essays, interpretations, and objections by the anti-Bulgakov philistines— I mean religious orthodox readers (who, apparently, lack proper analytical skills). Overall, it’s a pretty good site that has me thinking… maybe it’s time I reread this marvelous novel. After all, the third time I read it was when its genius really started to kick in for me. Fourth time’s a charm!