Sunday, October 24, 2004

Copywrite, me.

The problem with guys like Picasso is that they spread themselves too thin. When I first met the guy he was trying to be a painter. After a few years of minor success and tremendous failure, he switched to photography but not without trying his hand at music, writing poems and even a little bit of acting. I can't really say if he had any talent as a painter, but I do know that he was absolutely dreadful in every other artistic pursuit. He should have just stuck to painting. He might have gotten somewhere. Anyway, he seemed good at conning a bunch of people into believing that he was a genuine artist, and I guess that’s all that really matters. It’s not how good you are, it’s how good others think you to be. Maybe.

This problem of spreading oneself too thin translates into everyone's life. I'm no different. I have tried and failed at just about everything there is. I was a lousy cab driver, a laughable dockworker, and a train wreck as a postal employee. I was once a college student, but a monkey might have had more success. The hard reality is that I have never been much good at anything with one distinct exception: I was quite good at working for Virgil. His directions were vague, his motives suspect, but he always sent me to where I needed to be.

I was actually quite good at doing drugs. I feel I should mention that.