Thursday, February 24, 2005

I Have No Thoughts But of the Teeth

I work for lawyers. This alone feels like an admission of guilt—something akin to, “I am an alcoholic.” The difference is I get paid for my sins. I also get health insurance, which is nice since I go to the doctor at least once a year. Sadly, I do not get dental coverage in this package. This truly sucks as my teeth have long been in a state of disrepair and I do indeed visit the man with the drill and hook on a regular basis.

Last month I lost a crown. I know not where the thing went, but when I woke up it was gone. I must have swallowed the fucker in my sleep. Perfect. There went six hundred dollars worth of dental work. Of course, that amount reflects the going rate of many years ago. The new bill I just got slapped with is a tad higher. Okay, I’ll be crass; the exact amount I owe my dentist is over a grand. This is what it costs to have a fake tooth made and cemented into the mouth. Wonderful.

It’s not the money I have to pay, it’s the reason I have to pay it. My boss, I have heard, is the son-in-law of a dentist, thus his dental work, and the work for his family, is free. Why then should he have to pay for a dental plan? Ugh. Then again, I do get paid more than I should, which is supposed to cover the cost of private dental coverage. This works on paper but in the harsh reality of life in the big city, my checks do not stretch that far. I suppose it could were I to sacrifice other needs and desires, but I maintain that those nights at the bar are not frivolous, they are necessary. One has to keep the ennui at bay somehow.

To make matters worse, we have switched from United Health Care to Blue Cross/Blue Shield. UHC was a fine carrier and covered me (minus a low co-pay) during my hospital visits, infrequent though they were. BC/BS, on the other hand, is no longer accepted at my hospital. Once upon a time they were a top health insurance company but those days have passed. I suspect the lawyers-that-be are looking to save some dough again by switching to them. Ugh again. Well, I can still remain a patient at my hospital if I elect to go from an HMO to a PPO, which I am doing much to my chagrin. I suppose it was inevitable. Everything changes. Still, electing the PPO plan makes me feel as though I have taken another awkward step into adulthood. Next thing you know I’ll be driving an SUV.

Not pressing issues here, folks, just thought I’d vent. Thank you for your time.

Biting the hand that feeds me,
V.