Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Cohen mix-tape poetry

I know you need your sleep now,
I know your life’s been hard,
But many men have fallen
Where you promised to stand guard.
You told me again you preferred handsome men,
but for me you'd make an exception.
You cannot stand what I’ve become
you much prefer the gentleman I was before
I was so easy to defeat, I was so easy to control.
I didn’t even know there was a war.
Everything depends upon
how near you sleep to me.
Give me absolute control over every living soul
and lie beside me, baby, that’s an order.
Give me crack and anal sex,
take the only tree that’s left
and stuff it up the hole in your culture.
Give me back the Berlin wall
give me Stalin and St. Paul
I’ve seen the future, brother,
it is murder.
Give me back the Berlin wall
give me Stalin and St. Paul.
Give me Christ or give me Hiroshima.
And all the lousy little poets come around,
trying to sound like Charlie Manson.
Baby, let’s get married.
We’ve been alone too long.
Let’s be alone together.
Let’s see if we’re that strong.
Let’s do something crazy,
something absolutely wrong.