Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Guitar

Rolling Stone recently came up with a list of guitar heroes or guitar gods or greatest whatever. I have not seen it, but the Red Eye lying on the office men’s room floor tells me that Price is number 1, Kurt Cobain 2, Neil Young 3, George Harrison 4, Clapton 5, and Billy Corrigan number 22. I could debate all of these choices with ease, but instead I’ll offer my list because, yes, I have one. I have lists like you would not believe.

Agata (Melt-Banana)
Paul Leary (Butthole Surfers)
Trey Spruance (Mr. Bungle and Secret Chiefs 3)
(King) Buzzo (Melvins and Fantomas)
Yamamoto (Boredoms)
John Haggerty (Naked Raygun)
Poison Ivy Rorschach (The Cramps)
Marc Ribot (especially for his work with Tom Waits but those Prosthetic Cubans recordings are great too)
Pete Townshend (The Who)
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)
Steve Cropper (for his work with Otis Redding)
Oleg Gitarkin (Messer Chups)
Frank Zappa
James Hetfield (for the first 3 Metallica records and the EP that proceeded their decent into mediocrity)
Dean Ween (Ween)
Joe Strummer (The Clash)
Amedeo Pace (Blonde Redhead)
Steve Egerton (Descendents and ALL)
Andy Summers (The Police)
Joe Jack Talcum aka Jasper Thread (Dead Milkmen)
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen (especially for the mid-Roth era records)
Randy Rhodes

This is not in any real order, so don’t go bitching that Jimi is so low on the list. Anyway, that’s all I can think of now, so have at it.

Rockingly yours,

V.