Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Blinking Lights Try and Seduce

My computer at work is on the fritz, so until the IT man gets over here, I am using another’s hard-drive. This is all well and good, except I lost a lot of music. Most of it was borrowed CDs of things I might not wish to pay for. Stockhausen’s Helikopter Quartet, for example, and lots of John Cage that one of my avant jazz-snob lawyers owns. I could always ask to borrow these gems again, but perhaps I ought to just let it go. I still have the important stuff on CD, but damn, I could really go for listening to the Die Like a Dog Quartet right now. You always want what you don’t have.

This loss makes me glad that I do not have an Ipod and that all of my essential music is backed up on the good old fashioned CD, which is really not that old and, as far as I am concerned, a lot more durable and trustworthy than the handheld gizmos, MP3 players and slick and slender doo-dads. Then again, I had Betamax for years, so I tend to arrive late on the techno scene.

Oh, niña, thankfully you have the poems, many of which I also lost, because I could never recreate those.

No other big news. I am ankle deep in literary criticism and theory and watching it rise toward my waist. Hopefully I’ll tread the murky water. Then it’s grad school, creatively writing and trying to blend in with the rich kids from the northern suburbs. I can smell the money and I have it not. I feel like Rodney Dangerfield.