Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Savage Beast returns

Some call him Fraction, I call him Nazi McKrautmick. Once upon a time he used to do something on his blog (which is, oh why not, found here: http://www.mattfraction.com/ ) that I liked, which was make up fake mix tapes and write all about the songs and what they meant to him, what they did, whatever. Well, I’m stealing this idea because I don’t think he does that anymore, saving his time for writing geek fantasies of revenge against the corrupt, thinly masking schoolboy fantasies of paying back the abusive jocks who actually got laid in high school. Some call this Punisher.

So let’s begin.

“Green Fuzz” by the Cramps

As simple as The Cramps can be, straight ahead catchy fun that I usually put on around 3:00 PM at the workplace when the lawyerdogs nip at my tender heels. It helps.

“Shimmy Shimmy Ya” by Ol’ Dirty Bastard

I can’t speak to the rest of Return to the 36 Chambers CD as each time I put it on I can’t seem to get past this little gem. Just under three minutes, it’s really too short and needs about six listens in a row to be fully appreciated. Endless fun.

“$2.50” by Vincent and Mr. Green

A very laid back, cool song. More bands should do this—“this” meaning make good music. There’s nothing to say that would do it justice.

“Aktion 13F14” by Tomahawk

Easy to overlook as it comes at the end of their last release, Mit Gas, but it is one of the more interesting things this Patton band has done. Mostly Tomahawk serves as Patton’s vehicle to simply write lyrics over that Jesus Lizard guitarist’s 4/4 timed rock. Nothing wrong with that, but Tomahawk can lack the oddball genius of Mr. Bungle or the spastic drive of Fantomas. Still, listening to the robot vocals and noise assault outro of this track, one can sense there’s hope for the band yet.

“You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me” by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

I think I wrote a whole entry on this song a few months back. Either way, it’s stayed with me, being played again and again at work and in the car, both being places where I tend to play music the most. Both are places that demand something extraordinary to combat the inherent banality, and this is the perfect song to fight such a war.

“Doctor Doctor” by The Who

A bonus track from the Quick One re-release and one of the better things I’ve heard in a while. John Entwistle wrote this one which means, yes, that it’s dark and strange. And awesome.

“Satan Jeans” by Messer Chups

The best thing to come out of Russia (and Germany) since Mikhail Bulgakov. The entire Crazy Price CD is a must have if you like evil sounding goofy surf rock with electro beats and bonus videos of blood drinking and goth shimmy dances.

“Jimmy” by Bongwater

Sorry, niña, I know you hate this band (the name alone bugs you) but what’s better than rhyming “now don’t you think I’m insane” with “and stop comparing me to Shirley MacLaine”?

“Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue” by Bach, played by Maggie Cole

Who doesn’t like the harpsichord?

“Space Wrist” by UFO or Die

Boredoms side project that is very out of control. Yoshimi screams, Eye plays sloppy guitar. Wonderful.

“Lawyers in Love” by Jackson Browne

Thanks, Xtop for coming over to my side and realizing the beauty of this forgotten ‘80s classic. Thanks also for finding it and putting on my laptop.

“Bottle of Smoke” by The Pogues

Yeah, the upcoming concert is $50 a ticket, which means I might go back on my previous blog post’s promise of toasting the reunited Irishmen, but in the meantime I’ll be driving around Chi with this song on full blast.

“Celebrity Lifestyle” by Swans

Everything Gira and Jarboe did was interesting and always very sinister, but this one takes the cake. Dark without being a slow dirge like a lot of their material, you can’t knock a song with the lyric “and she ties her naked children up with wires and lace.”

“If You Want Me to Stay” by Sly and the Family Stone

Like many people my age, I was first introduced to this song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers who nicely covered it on their 2nd record back when they were red-hot and not the lukewarm pop machine desperately scrambling to rewrite “Under the Bridge.” Still, a good song is a good song and this one, be it played by a black man or a bunch of white punks from California pretending to be black, is quite good.

That’ll do for now. There’s more that I’ve been spinning as of late, but that suffice. Get ready to do your taxes and go hit the bastards right between the eyes.